DARLINGTON, SC (WBTW) - Darlington County deputies attempted to stop a suspect in an alleged strong-armed robbery, but a chase ensued when the driver refused to pull over Monday afternoon.
Sheriff Wayne Byrd says deputies spotted the woman around 5:30 p.m. Monday and attempted to pull her over to serve warrants for a strong-armed robbery that occurred Sunday night. As a result of the robbery, the victim was assaulted and had to be treated at a local hospital for the injuries he received, adds Sheriff Byrd.
The driver refused to stop and led deputies on a chase in the area of Ousleydale Road, Sheriff Byrd adds. The driver ultimately lost control of the vehicle, veering off the side of the road and flipping the car in the Ousleydale Road area.
There were four passengers in the car at the time of the crash, but Sheriff Byrd says he is unsure at this point if they were involved with the reported strong-armed robbery. The Darlington County Coroner's Office reports one passenger, Jennifer Lee Sims, 28, died when the vehicle ran off the road and overturned.
The condition of the other occupants of the car was not immediately known.
South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- How police finally found the Austin bomber
- Budget deal includes wildfire disaster fund to end borrowing
- Trump targets China as US businesses await backlash
- "Exactly what we had hoped would happen," what's next for the case of alleged bank robber