CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP) — Two teenagers are accused of shooting a North Carolina college student on a road adjoining campus.
The State Bureau of Investigation arrested a 17-year-old boy and 19-year-old Aja Makalo on Saturday. Both are from Charlotte and charged with attempted murder for the shooting late Friday of 21-year-old Jacob Ray of Hendersonville. Makalo and Ray are students of Western Carolina University.
The university says Ray was in "very serious condition" at a hospital in Asheville.
Makalo was being held on a $500,000 bond. It's unclear whether she has an attorney.
Chancellor David Belcher says the university community is "shocked and distressed" by the shooting. He says the "safety of our students is of paramount importance, and violent acts such as this affect us all."
'People just ran': Students fled for
DC area sniper requests a hearing to ask
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- DC area sniper requests a hearing to ask for lower sentence
- Young's 26 help No. 12 Oklahoma top No. 5 Kansas 85-80
- MLK confidant and civil rights leader Wyatt Tee Walker dies
- Asian shares mostly lower on jitters over trade tensions