MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — The man charged in Brittanee Drexel’s death allegedly confessed to the crime and led officials to her body, according to the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office.

Georgetown County officials confirmed at a news conference on Monday that remains found Wednesday in a wooded area along Old Town Avenue in Harmony Township were those of Drexel, who went missing more than a decade ago.

Georgetown County Sheriff Carter Weaver said the remains were identified using dental records.

Raymond Moody, 62, of Georgetown, is charged with murder, kidnapping, and first-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to warrants.

Warrants show Moody allegedly strangled Drexel on or about April 25, 2009. Moody also sexually battered Drexel on the same night, according to the warrants.

15th Circuit Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said evidence shows that Drexel was raped and killed at the Santee River and then her body was taken to Old Town Avenue.

Richardson said Moody is the only suspect and doesn’t expect any further charges against him unless the evidence changes.

Moody can either plead guilty or take his case to trial.

“That could be one thing they’re looking at, ‘I want to get this over’, or it could be that ‘I’m going to let it die down a little bit, and then I’ll ask for bond,'” Richardson said.

Richardson said a lot of evidence came up against Moody.

“It actually was in place maybe three months ago, but it really went into motion two or three weeks ago,” he said.

Richardson said Moody’s May 4 arrest for obstructing justice was a way to get him locked up. At that point, they knew he did it.

“Knowing and being able to prove are two different things,” Richardson said. “And I wanted to be able to prove that what I was saying was true.”

Richardson said when a person goes to jail for almost any crime, the person goes in front of a magistrate. Moody chose not to and also waived all of his appearances and chose not to take bond.

“If he says plea, it’ll go on to the plea roster and be heard the next week,” Richardson said. “If he says trial, they’re going to trial roster. It could be a year, year and a half.”

In 2016, an FBI agent said Drexel was abducted, gang-raped, shot to death and thrown into an alligator-infested swamp, citing a statement from a prison inmate. On Monday, Richardson said it is now null and void.

News13 asked the FBI on Monday for a statement regarding the alligator pit allegations and whether or not Timothy Da’Shaun Taylor, who was named a person of interest in the disappearance, was still connected to the case. The FBI sent the following statement:

“Throughout the investigation, law enforcement followed multiple leads to wherever they led us based on the information we had at the time,” the statement reads. “We have an obligation to follow leads to their conclusion. The person we believe is responsible for Brittanee’s murder has been charged.”

In 2011, News13 confronted Moody who said he knew nothing about the case, and told our reporter to leave or he would call the police.