CHICAGO (WGN) – A Chicago woman infected with novel coronavirus has infected her husband, health officials confirmed Thursday.
This is the first person-to-person spread of coronavirus in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is also the second confirmed case of coronavirus in Illinois.
The woman, who is in her 60s, recently traveled to Wuhan, China, to take care of her sick father. Her husband did not travel to China.
The woman is currently under quarantine at AMITA Health St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates.
The husband is also hospitalized in stable condition, but health officials did not say where.
Local health officials said that the risk of contracting coronavirus for Illinoisans remains low.
Meanwhile, health screenings are still underway at O’Hare Airport for those coming in from China. Symptoms of the deadly virus include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- News13’s partnership with Harvest Hope Food Bank in efforts to raise money for Coronavirus Relief Fund
- St. James Alum, Smith Knaffle inspired by golf greats
- How coronavirus spread through a birthday and a funeral in Chicago
- Logan’s Roadhouse temporarily closes all locations, terminates employees
- Cassill, Preece win at Myrtle Beach Speedway in NASCAR E-Series