LUMBERTON, NC (WBTW) – A man has been charged after police say he fired a gun at officers outside a Lumberton restaurant.
Around 6:22 p.m. Monday, officers were dispatched to a report of a hit-and-run that happened in the Walmart parking lot located at 5070 Fayetteville Road, Lumberton police said. The suspect allegedly left the scene driving a burgundy SUV.
Additional 911 calls were received before officers arrived on scene, which reported the suspect involved in the hit-and-run had pointed a gun at people in the area of Fayetteville Road and Jackson Court, according to police. The first officer to arrive reportedly found the suspect’s vehicle, a burgundy 4-door Chevrolet Blazer, abandoned in the road.
A witness told officers the suspect was at the Texas Steakhouse, located at 5093 Fayetteville Road, police said. Officers went to the restaurant, where they reportedly located the suspect in a parking lot near the back of the restaurant.
Officers approached the suspect, who allegedly refused commands to show officers his hands. The suspect allegedly ran into a fenced area nearby and fired a gun at officers.
Lumberton police said officers didn’t return fire and weren’t injured.
The suspect then allegedly ran from the area and officers set up a perimeter around the area. A Lumberton Police Department K-9 was used and officers found the suspect and took him into custody.
Officers also reportedly located the gun used by the suspect.
The suspect was identified by police at Brian T. Campbell, 31, of Lumberton. He has been charged with:
- two counts of assault on a law enforcement officer with a firearm
- one count of possession of a firearm by a felon
- three counts of assault by pointing a gun
- one count of discharging a firearm in the city limits
- one count of DWI
Campbell is being held in the Robeson County Detention Center pending a $500,000 bond.
- President Trump expected to announce Supreme Court Justice pick Saturday
- ‘I’m so happy for our kids’: A “dress rehearsal” for COVID-19 protocols at high school football games
- Mnuchin and Powell urge support for unemployment relief and small business loans
- Lumbee Tribe of N.C. hosts groundblessing ceremony for new gymnasium
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump