CONWAY, SC (WBTW) – Charges are pending after a gun was found in a student’s belongings at an Horry County middle school.
According to a City of Conway Police Department incident report, police were notified by administration that a student may have a gun and the student was removed from class.
“While administration was speaking with the student he stated he did have a weapon inside his backpack,” the report said. “A hand gun was located in a shoe inside the students backpack.”
In a letter to parents, Whittemore Park Middle School Principal Quintina Livingston said around 10:45 a.m Wednesday, a student witnessed another student in possession of a gun in a bathroom at the school and notified a school staff member.
The student was detained by staff and a school resource officer, according to the letter. The student’s belongings were searched and a handgun was found by law enforcement. Law enforcement confiscated the gun.
Principal Livingston said all students and staff are safe.
Taylor Newell, with the City of Conway, tells News13 charges are pending against the student.
Count on News13 for updates.
- After the COVID vaccine: Will you need a booster shot?
- My experience with the Moderna vaccine: What you can expect
- More Texans would support Matthew McConaughey for governor over Greg Abbott, poll shows
- Fauci says he expects Johnson & Johnson vaccinations to resume later this week
- GOP White House hopefuls move forward as Trump considers run, but Nikki Haley says she will sit out