UPDATE: Anijah Robert Yarnell, 20, of Myrtle Beach, has been charged with murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection with the shooting near Surfside Beach.
He remains in J. Reuben Long without bond.
SURFSIDE BEACH, SC AREA (WBTW) – One person is dead after a shooting near Surfside Beach, according to Horry County Deputy Coroner Darris Fowler.
Fowler identified the person who died as Michael W. Pennington, III, 33, of the Myrtle Beach area. Pennington died on the scene from a gunshot wound.
Fowler added the shooting happened at the Cross Gate Villas parking lot in the Surfside Beach area and said Horry County police are investigating the incident as a homicide.
The call came in just before 10:00 p.m. Thursday near Maddington Place Drive and Deerfield Links Drive, said Mikayla Moskov, with the Horry County Police Department. A suspect is in custody and there’s no threat to the community.
An investigation is ongoing. Count on News13 for updates.
- CCU drops Sun Belt conference home opener to Georgia Southern, 8-2
- Missing: endangered couple’s pickup last seen in Lake City
- Retired Ohio sheriff and tiny K-9 partner die the same day
- Florence County plans to combat trash troubles with inmate litter crews
- Police: Man wanted out of Michigan attacked woman in Myrtle Beach with a knife