UPDATE: Anijah Robert Yarnell, 20, of Myrtle Beach, has been charged with murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection with the shooting near Surfside Beach.
He remains in J. Reuben Long without bond.
SURFSIDE BEACH, SC AREA (WBTW) – One person is dead after a shooting near Surfside Beach, according to Horry County Deputy Coroner Darris Fowler.
Fowler identified the person who died as Michael W. Pennington, III, 33, of the Myrtle Beach area. Pennington died on the scene from a gunshot wound.
Fowler added the shooting happened at the Cross Gate Villas parking lot in the Surfside Beach area and said Horry County police are investigating the incident as a homicide.
The call came in just before 10:00 p.m. Thursday near Maddington Place Drive and Deerfield Links Drive, said Mikayla Moskov, with the Horry County Police Department. A suspect is in custody and there’s no threat to the community.
An investigation is ongoing. Count on News13 for updates.
- President Trump expected to announce Supreme Court Justice pick Saturday
- ‘I’m so happy for our kids’: A “dress rehearsal” for COVID-19 protocols at high school football games
- Mnuchin and Powell urge support for unemployment relief and small business loans
- Lumbee Tribe of N.C. hosts groundblessing ceremony for new gymnasium
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump