SURFSIDE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – A teenager has pleaded guilty and been sentenced in the attack of a 72-year-old Surfside Beach woman.
On Thursday, Nicholas O. Rios, 16, of Horry County, pleaded guilty to the following charges in connection to incident, according to the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office:
- attempted murder
- first-degree burglary
- first-degree criminal sexual assault
A judge sentenced Rios to 35 years for the first-degree burglary charge and 30 years each for the attempted murder, sexual assault and kidnapping charges. These sentences will run concurrently.
To be eligible to be considered for parole, Rios must serve 85-percent of his sentence, the solicitor’s office said. He must also register as a sex offender following his release.
“In November, Rios was waived from Family Court to General Sessions Court for prosecution as an adult in the incident that left the victim with ‘extensive injuries,'” the solicitor’s office added.
Count on News13 for updates.
- Shanahan: ‘No injuries to report’ ahead of 49ers NFC Championship game
- Grand Strand lawmakers propose bill to use hospitality tax money for I-73
- Rollback proposed for Michelle Obama school lunch guidelines
- Man arrested for driving 145 mph in 55 mph zone on Florida Bridge
- Man returns money after finding $43,000 in couch he purchased at thrift store