HARTSVILLE AREA, SC (WBTW) – Darlington County deputies have charged a man after they say he went on a “theft spree” late Thursday into Friday in the Hartsville area.
William Kahler Johnson was booked into jail Saturday evening at 6 p.m.
Lt. Robby Kilgo, with the Darlington County Sheriff’s Office, said Johnson went on a “theft spree” over the course of a few hours in the North Hartsville area around Fox Hollow and Lake View Boulevard.
Johnson allegedly stole money out of cars, children’s bicycles, golf clubs and two children’s dirt bikes, among other items.
Jail records show Johnson is facing four charges, including petit larceny, breaking into auto and two counts of receiving stolen goods with a value greater than $2,000. but less than $10,000. Bond has been set at $45,000 cash or surerty. Johnson remains in the W. Glenn Campbell Detention Center as of 6 a.m. Monday.
Kilgo said Johnson has a prior record.
“Enough is enough,” Darlington County Sheriff Tony Chavis said in a statement. “Our citizens deserve relief from the continuing crimes he commits in the community. He has had opportunities to change his ways, but he continues to be a criminal.”
Kilgo said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be sought.
Count on News13 for updates.
- Clemson football to face Georgia in 2021 season opener
- Congressman pushing to remove restrictions on churches talking politics
- Suspended SC sheriff allegedly provided alcohol to underage person in Horry County, possessed controlled substances
- Rain expected the next several days, Watching colder air move in towards the end of the week
- Judge denies bond for suspect in deadly Waccamaw Bingo Hall shooting