BENSON, N.C. (WNCN/WBTW) — A man working at a convenience store in McGee’s Crossroads near Benson was shot to death while defending his mother during an armed robbery Thursday morning, the man’s brother told News13’s sister station CBS 17.
Authorities received an armed robbery and shooting call at 1:26 a.m. at the Scotchman gas station, located at 1230 N.C. Highway 210, according to the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office.
The family member who spoke with CBS 17 said that his brother and mother worked together at the gas station together. According to the family member, two armed men walked into the store and tried to rob it. While they were attempting to rob the store, the man tried to intervene to defend his mother. One of the suspects then fired shots inside the store, hitting and killing the man.
The armed men were able to flee from the scene.
It’s not known if the woman suffered any injuries during the attempted robbery. No suspect information is available at this time.
CBS 17 has a crew on the scene and this story will be updated as it develops.
- Shanahan: ‘No injuries to report’ ahead of 49ers NFC Championship game
- Grand Strand lawmakers propose bill to use hospitality tax money for I-73
- Rollback proposed for Michelle Obama school lunch guidelines
- Man arrested for driving 145 mph in 55 mph zone on Florida Bridge
- Man returns money after finding $43,000 in couch he purchased at thrift store