GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WBTW) — The Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Wednesday afternoon that a body recovered earlier in the day from the Black River was a man who had been reported missing on Sunday.
Coroner Kenny Johnson identified the body as 21-year-old Michael Hechler, according to the sheriff’s office. An autopsy is scheduled.
The sheriff’s office recovered the body Wednesday morning after it was found by boaters.
The office’s marine patrol unit had been conducting searches on Tuesday in the area near the Pea House Landing using side-scan sonar in a search for Hechler after his vehicle was found Monday in the river and appeared to have been involved in an accident at the boat landing, according to deputies.
- SCDOT proposes upgrades to busy Tournament Boulevard intersection in Murrells Inlet
- Man slain in Chicago dispute over hands in Thanksgiving food
- Graham: Trump should attend Biden’s inauguration
- Disney honors Chadwick Boseman’s birthday with special ‘Black Panther’ opening
- Meet Charlotte, a Banded Huntsman Spider who found a home