NEW YORK (AP) – The NHL is following the NBA’s lead and suspending its season amid the coronavirus outbreak. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the league is “pausing” its season.
The move comes a day after the NBA suspended play following a player’s positive COVID-19 test. The NHL has not said any player has tested positive for the virus.
The NHL is halting play with 189 games left in the regular season and sparking uncertainty about how many more if any could be go on before the playoffs.
A handful of European hockey leagues have already called off the remainder of their seasons.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- Floodwaters from Hurricane Isaias carry Jeep blocks away on Oak Island
- Florence man faces 20 charges of child porn, up to 200 years in prison
- SEC announces new fall preseason practice schedule
- WATCH LIVE: NC Gov. Cooper, emergency management officials giving update on Isaias
- DHEC: 52 additional confirmed deaths in South Carolina reported today