Payton is the first person in the NFL known to have tested positive for the virus.
Payton told ESPN he didn’t feel well on Sunday, took the test on Monday and received the results Thursday.
He said he is resting at home but said although he is fatigued, he does not have a fever or cough.
He encouraged others to heed government officials’ warnings about the virus.
- Crews responding to apartment complex fire in Horry Co.
- Combating coronavirus: VA orders hospitals to open to civilians in virus-stricken states
- Lawmakers pressure Bureau of Prisons to stop inmate transfers
- All 787 operations at Boeing South Carolina to be temporarily suspended starting Wed.
- LIVE: President Trump, White House coronavirus task force hold Monday briefing