LAURINBURG, NC (WBTW) — An offender housed at Scotland Correctional Institution, who tested positive for COVID-19, has died at the hospital as a result of pre-existing conditions complicated by the virus.
The offender, a male in his early eighties who had underlying health conditions, tested positive for the virus on August 14, when he was hospitalized.
He was previously tested twice in late July and early August with negative results.
His condition worsened, and the offender died at the hospital on September 6.
Given his family’s right to privacy and the confidentiality of prison offender records, the Department of Public Safety will not further identify the individual.
- One arrested after shooting incident, hostage situation in Darlington County
- Myrtle Beach tourism industry faces challenges advertising to tourists during pandemic
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- Surfside Beach looking to narrow down applicant pool for next Town Administrator