ROME (AP) – The World Health Organization is declaring that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic.
The assessment comes as Italy is weighing even tighter restrictions on daily life and has announced billions in financial relief to cushion economic shocks from the coronavirus.
Premier Giuseppe Conte says he will consider requests to toughen an already extraordinary lockdown.
The hardest-hit region of Lombardy is pushing for a shutdown of nonessential businesses and public transportation on top of travel and social restrictions. The death toll in Italy has risen to 631. In the U.S., more than 1,000 people have been infected. .
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- 16 finish firefighter recruit school, graduate during ceremonies at Horry Georgetown Technical College
- Grasping for air: Heat a major issue at Olympic tennis venue
- Olympic pole vaulter posts video of graphic injury at practice: ‘Messed up all my teeth’
- Georgia man arrested in 1988 murder of 8-year-old boy after DNA evidence links him to crime
- Part of Utah’s Great Salt Lake reaches historic low