ROME (AP) – The World Health Organization is declaring that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic.
The assessment comes as Italy is weighing even tighter restrictions on daily life and has announced billions in financial relief to cushion economic shocks from the coronavirus.
Premier Giuseppe Conte says he will consider requests to toughen an already extraordinary lockdown.
The hardest-hit region of Lombardy is pushing for a shutdown of nonessential businesses and public transportation on top of travel and social restrictions. The death toll in Italy has risen to 631. In the U.S., more than 1,000 people have been infected. .
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- Businesses near The Murrells Inlet Marshwalk struggle to say open
- ‘It’s a crucial time’: Coronavirus lockdown strands Myrtle Beach family in Colombia while adopting child
- Georgetown police search for man considered to be armed and dangerous
- College Board offering free virtual AP Exam prep; exams to be taken online in May
- Reports: Country artist John Prine dead at 73 after battle with COVID-19