MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – It is officially tax free weekend, so here is a list of all of the items that can be purchased without the 6-percent sales tax being added on.
Exempted from sales tax:
- Clothing accessories
- hats, scarves, hosiery, handbags, etc.
- School supplies
- pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes and calculators.
- Art supplies for school, earbuds and headphones, flash drives, musical instruments for school, uniforms.
- Computers, printers, printing supplies and computer software.
- Bath wash cloths, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs, bath mats and pillow cases.
Not exempted from sales tax:
- Jewelry, cosmetics, eye-wear, wallets and watches.
- A sale of an item on layaway or similar deferred payment and delivery plan.
- Rental of clothing or footwear
- A sale or lease of an item for use in trade or business
- Office supplies
- sports equipment
- video game consoles
- Mattresses and box springs
- Cleaning supplies
- Cell phones
Tax-free items can be purchased both in store and online, so if during this uncertain time you are avoiding in-person shopping, you can still get your essentials tax-free.
If you have questions on if something is deemed taxable or not, visit the SC Department of Revenue website here.
For the latest on your school’s back to school plan, visit our Making the Grade section.