FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Three people have been arrested and charged with murder in the August shooting death of a mother of seven, Fayetteville police said.
Police responded to a shooting shortly before 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 23. They found 25-year-old Chakita Jones suffering from a gunshot wound.
She was transferred to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, then to UNC Medical Center. She died there on Aug. 24, police said in an earlier release.
On Tuesday, Fayetteville police announced the arrests of 35-year-old Rodney Diggins, 26-year-old Justin Gowins, and 22-year-old Montanique Shaw.
All three are charged with first-degree murder, discharging a firearm into an occupied property, and felony conspiracy. All three are being held on no bond, Fayetteville police said.
Jones was a mother of seven. Her family said all seven children were in the house at the time of the shooting.
“She was a mother before anything,” said Jones’ sister, Brittany Fuller-Plumber. “She loved taking care of her kids, she loved being the best mother she could be to them.”
- Florence police search for subjects after attempted robbery at Walmart
- Not all the same: There are some hand sanitizers the FDA says consumers should avoid using. Here’s the full list.
- Getting beaten online trying to buy a PS5 or new Xbox? You may be losing to a bot
- Politicians eat their words after dining out, taking trips during pandemic
- Police: Man allegedly sexually assaulted Surfside Beach woman he met on dating app