FORT STEWART, GA (WSAV) – Three 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team Soldiers were killed and three more were hospitalized during a training accident on Fort Stewart early Sunday morning.
According to Fort Stewart officials, the Bradley Fighting Vehicle the soldiers were riding on was involved in the accident. Three were pronounced dead on scene and three more were taken to Winn Army Community Hospital for treatment.
“Today is a heartbreaking day for the 3rd Infantry Division, and the entire Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield community, as we are all devastated after a training accident this morning on the Fort Stewart Training Area,” Maj. Gen. Tony Aguto, commanding general of the 3rd Infantry Division said. “We are extremely saddened by the loss of three Dogface Soldiers, and injuries to three more. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy.”
The accident is currently under investigation and the names of the soldiers have not been released yet.
WBTW and WSAV will provide updates to this story.
- Pres. Trump takes on social media outlets with an executive order
- Pee Dee high school hosts first in-person SC graduation since the pandemic
- Scattered thunderstorms continue Friday
- Myrtle Beach firefighters adapt to reopening during coronavirus pandemic
- Body found off St. Helena Island identified as missing Alabama man