MAXTON, NC (WBTW) – Divers found three bodies inside a car in a pond in Robeson County, according to Sheriff Burnis Wilkins.
Crews were called to Maxton Pond at about 2 p.m. on Tuesday after someone reported seeing two lights and a tag submerged in the water, according to Robeson Co. Emergency Management officials. The Queheel Fire Department and Lumberton Rescue also were called out.
After divers entered the pond, they found the car and discovered three bodies inside. The divers were still on the scene late Tuesday afternoon working with the Robeson Co. Sheriff’s Office.
“Evidence leads us to believe it was a traffic-related incident and the highway patrol which was already on scene took over,” said Sheriff Wilkins.
No information is available about the victims as of Tuesday afternoon. Officials are unsure how long the vehicle had been in the water.
- Foreign students who take online courses risk losing visa this fall
- Do you have unclaimed property? SC Treasurer’s Office offers free service for you to check
- Mask proclamation now in effect for City of Florence
- Lawmakers urge studies on how trauma, post-traumatic stress impacts police officers’ use of force
- Rosewood residents protest county over flooding, mitigation plans