MAXTON, NC (WBTW) – Divers found three bodies inside a car in a pond in Robeson County, according to Sheriff Burnis Wilkins.
Crews were called to Maxton Pond at about 2 p.m. on Tuesday after someone reported seeing two lights and a tag submerged in the water, according to Robeson Co. Emergency Management officials. The Queheel Fire Department and Lumberton Rescue also were called out.
After divers entered the pond, they found the car and discovered three bodies inside. The divers were still on the scene late Tuesday afternoon working with the Robeson Co. Sheriff’s Office.
“Evidence leads us to believe it was a traffic-related incident and the highway patrol which was already on scene took over,” said Sheriff Wilkins.
No information is available about the victims as of Tuesday afternoon. Officials are unsure how long the vehicle had been in the water.
- Back below freezing tonight
- Murrels Inlet man charged with assault, burglary, stalking while under restraining order
- WATCH: Behind the scenes from the CMA Awards red carpet
- SCHSL, SCISA, NC updated high school football playoff schedule
- Man accused of stealing two pick-up trucks from Johnsonville business