CLEWISTON, FL (AP) — Florida sheriff’s deputies are investigating the slaying of a transgender woman whose body was found in her burning car.
Media reports say the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the Sept. 4 death of 23-year-old Bee Love Slater in Clewiston, Florida.
The Human Rights Campaign says Slater is at least the 18th transgender woman to be killed in 2019.
Capt. Susan Harrelle declined to tell the Palm Beach Post how Slater died, saying only the killer or a witness would know that.
She said detectives are investigating whether Slater’s gender identity was a motive for the slaying.
Slater’s friend Kenard Wade told WINK-TV that Slater had received threats the night she died and she wanted to leave the Lake Okeechobee area to avoid trouble.
- LIVE: Horry County’s update on coronavirus efforts
- Lowe’s will close stores Easter Sunday to give employees ‘much-deserved day off’
- LIVE NOW: US coronavirus death toll tops 11,000
- Woman apprehended after escaping custody in Florence County, sheriff’s office says
- Worker at Georgia-Pacific Darlington plant tests positive for COVID-19