Waxhaw, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – A grieving mother shares her last memories of her daughter.
Morgan Garrett had just celebrated her 24th birthday days before she died in a Navy training plane.
She was a Coast Guard Officer and her mother says she dreamed of it.
“She rode a pirate ship across the North Atlantic from New London, Connecticut to Dublin, Ireland. I think it took them five weeks to get there,” said Jennifer Garrett, Morgan’s mother.
Sunday, her family and friends gathered to remember her life during her homegoing.
“Having my dad and my brother and my niece all talk about their experiences with Morgan brought back so many memories and it was wonderful to see her friends,” she said.
Family, as well as coaches, spoke highly of the coast guard officer saying she died living her dream.
“She was a special girl. She had energy and enthusiasm. She was such a positive person and really great to work with,” said Ethan Brown, Coach.
With it being the last time to see her daughter, Garrett has a message for other parents.
“Hug your kids and there might be times you want to hold on a little bit tighter. Just let them know it’s something that you need. We found out we’re not promised tomorrow,” said Garrett.
It’s a reality Garrett admits she wasn’t prepared for.
LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX 46 CHARLOTTE
- SC teacher advocacy group wants teachers prioritized in next COVID-19 vaccine phase
- FBI: 33 missing children, including some who were sexually exploited, found in California operation
- ‘Just want to say thank you’: First lady Jill Biden delivers cookies to National Guard troops
- Devante Jones leads the way as the CCU men take down Troy, 90-81
- Solicitor talks about uniqueness of charge against couple accused of public sex acts in Myrtle Beach