FLORENCE, SC (WBTW) – Warrants for a correctional officer have been issued Friday after he was charged with drug possession and attempting to introduce drugs into the prison where he worked.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections Police Services issued warrants for Loren Russell Smith, 38, of Florence, who was a correctional officer at Lee Correctional Institute.
Smith was charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana, introducing contraband into a prison, criminal conspiracy and misconduct in office.
His charges also include attempting to bring 256 grams of marijuana and rolling papers into the prison, hidden inside a Taco Bell food container.
Following his arrest, Smith was fired.
- 2 wanted, one in custody in connection with ‘large fight’ on Ocean Blvd
- ‘They’re terrified:’ Survey says thousands of SC educators have underlying health conditions
- Man wanted in connection with 2 stabbings in Myrtle Beach
- Making the Grade: What’s it take to outfit a school for a pandemic?
- Midway Fire adds sensory kits to vehicles to calm individuals with autism