FLORENCE COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) – The Florence County Coroner is investigating a workplace related death that happened Saturday evening.
The deadly incident occurred at McCall Farms Food Plant, located at 6615 South Irby Street, in Effingham, according to Coroner Keith von Lutcken.
The deceased man was identified by authorities as Ryan Seither, 39. The body will be autopsied at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.
OSHA will be assisting in the investigation as well.
This is the second work-related death to occur at the plant within the last six months.
McCall Farms VP of Human Resources, Darryl Davids, said McCall ownership is deeply saddened, devastated, and broken-heartened about this loss. He said McCall is a family-owned company so safety is always a top priority.
Seither was a contractor for Innovative Refrigeration Systems in Lyndhurst, VA – and not an employee of McCall Farms, Davids said. He said the plant was not running production at the time of the incident.
In 2018, the company was charged a $7,875 initial penalty for three serious violations found during an OSHA investigation, according to the agency’s records.
No additional information is available at this time. Count on News13 for updates.
- AAA says parents should form these 7 habits to prevent hot car deaths
- ‘Cave syndrome’: What it is, how to cope with it
- 3 people face murder charges in shooting that left 2 North Carolina men dead in Myrtle Beach
- Teen swimmer dies after being struck by lightning on Georgia’s Tybee Island
- Man jumps into Lake Michigan for 365th straight day to relieve stress