FLORENCE COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) – The Florence County Coroner is investigating a workplace related death that happened Saturday evening.
The deadly incident occurred at McCall Farms Food Plant, located at 6615 South Irby Street, in Effingham, according to Coroner Keith von Lutcken.
The deceased man was identified by authorities as Ryan Seither, 39. The body will be autopsied at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.
OSHA will be assisting in the investigation as well.
This is the second work-related death to occur at the plant within the last six months.
McCall Farms VP of Human Resources, Darryl Davids, said McCall ownership is deeply saddened, devastated, and broken-heartened about this loss. He said McCall is a family-owned company so safety is always a top priority.
Seither was a contractor for Innovative Refrigeration Systems in Lyndhurst, VA – and not an employee of McCall Farms, Davids said. He said the plant was not running production at the time of the incident.
In 2018, the company was charged a $7,875 initial penalty for three serious violations found during an OSHA investigation, according to the agency’s records.
No additional information is available at this time. Count on News13 for updates.
- Drone video shows Flood damage in Socastee area
- Man charged with illegally dumping concrete slabs in Pawleys Island community
- AMBER Alert issued for missing 4-year-old Brunswick County girl
- PHOTO: Large snake found in floodwaters of Horry County
- The importance of journalism and diversity in news organizations: A virtual discussion with 3 broadcast legends