HORRY COUNTY, S.C. (WBTW) – Crews are on the scene of an active structure fire in Longs.
Two people have been displaced and will be offered assistance from the American Red Cross of South Carolina after a fire damaged their home in the 3000 block of Old Buck Creek Road. No injures have been reported.
Earl, the dog, was the first line of defense, Horry County Fire Rescue reported, barking as smoke alarms were going off, alerting residents to grab him and get out of the house.
Horry County Fire Rescue crews were dispatched at about 2:01 p.m. on Tuesday. The Loris Fire Department assisted with the call.
“As we find ourselves in #FirePreventionWeek, where we’re emphasizing the importance of learning and reacting to the sounds of fire safety — mainly those made by smoke and carbon monoxide alarms — don’t overlook the sounds (barks) our four-legged friends are making to potentially help us,” HCFR posted on social media.
This fire will be under investigation. No further information is available at this time.