PAWLEYS ISLAND, SC (WBTW) – Deputies are searching for an 84-year-old man who is the former chairperson for the Pawleys Island Planning Commission.
Jimmy McCants was last seen in Pawleys Island at about noon on Monday, according to the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office. He told his wife he was running some errands.
Deputies describe McCants as 6-feet 2-inches tall, 145 pounds, with gray hair and blue eyes.
His silver Ford Explorer was found parked between the bridges on U.S. Highway 17 north of Georgetown around 6 p.m. Deputies are searching the area.
Late Monday night, the sheriff’s office announced its search for McCants had expanded. Deputies were checking local hotels and stores for him, according to a post on Facebook. They also said Midway Fire Rescue had joined the search, using thermal imaging equipment on the ground.
The sheriff’s office confirmed Tuesday morning that McCants recently resigned from his position as chairperson for the Pawleys Island Planning Commission.
According to the Town of Pawleys Island website, McCants is chairman of the planning commission. He’s also been named Pawleys Island Citizen of the Year before, according to our news partners with the South Strand News.
Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Mr. McCants is being asked to call the Georgetown County Sheriff’s office at (843) 546-5102.
- Biden to lay out plan to ramp up COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- ‘Strong evidence’ suggests Capitol rioters intended to ‘capture and assassinate’ officials, US prosecutors say
- Discovery in space: FM radio signal coming from Jupiter’s moon Ganymede
- North Carolina is top 5 supplier of roosters for cockfighting, group says
- What else is in Biden’s $1.9T coronavirus plan? $15 federal minimum wage, expanded paid leave