Fire on Mr. Joe White Ave. in Myrtle Beach believed to have started from dropped lit cigarette, police say

Grand Strand

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — A fire Wednesday on Mr. Joe White Avenue in Myrtle Beach is believed to have started from a dropped lit cigarette, according to a police report from Myrtle Beach police.

Officials were called to 1115 Mr. Joe White Avenue at about 11:10 a.m. for the fire. After one hour on scene, the battalion chief believed that the Myrtle Beach Police Department Crime Scene Unit should respond to take pictures of the scene, according to the report.

Firefighters on scene said the fire was consistent with a dropped lit cigarette, which caught the couch on fire and activated the sprinkler system, according to the report. The resident at the home was not on scene and never showed up during the investigation, police said.

Property management provided the name of the resident to police through lease paperwork.

Fire officials and police both believe an unknown person tried to put out the fire using both water and a blanket, according to the report. The fire alarm was never pulled and the community fire extinguisher wasn’t used.

Officials found multiple cigarette butts on the floor with multiple ash trays with two cigarette butts on the floor in front of the couch where the fire started, according to the report.

Firefighters rescued four people and one dog through windows, according to Capt. Christian Sliker.

No other information about the fire was immediately available. Count on News13 for updates.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending stories