MURRELLS INLET, SC (WBTW) – A body has been recovered, and identified after crews spent days searching for a missing swimmer on the Intracoastal Waterway, the coroner’s office says.
Horry County Coroner Robert Edge, says the drowning victim was recovered.
Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard identified the victim as 21-year-old Roger Latrell Wigfall of Pawleys Island. She says the cause of death was asphyxiation due to drowning.
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Aquatic Investigation and Recovery dive team recovered the body of a missing swimming around 8 p.m. on Monday, according to a release from SCDNR. The body of a 21-year-old Pawleys Island man was found near Wacca Wache Landing.
The area searched by crews ranged from about 5 feet to about 20 feet deep, SCDNR said. The incident remains under investigation.
The call was dispatched by Horry County 911 around 5:40 p.m. Sunday.
Count on News13 to keep you updated.
- Section of Sea Captain Pier in Cherry Grove missing following Isaias
- Trump giving $35 million to aid human trafficking survivors
- Isaias exits and leaves behind nice weather today
- Los Angeles police respond to large party at Beverly Hills mansion reportedly held for NFL player
- Horry County Fire Rescue assisting with structure fires in Ocean Isle Beach after Isaias landfall