CONWAY, SC (WBTW) - The Horry County Police Department has a new tool to fight crime and you can get it on your smartphone.
Horry County police have launched an app and the department says it's the first agency in the county with one.
"We're going to be pushing out push notifications for emergencies," said Horry County police spokesperson Krystal Dotson. "Any information that we need people to know immediately, they're going to get that."
The app launched Wednesday and allows you to submit tips for possible crimes. You can even include picture or videos with a tip.
Dotson worked with the app's developer and says the app can help police investigate crimes more efficiently.
"It just allows us to get it a lot faster because we've got it programed to where those people within the agency that need to receive these tips are going to get the immediate notifications," Dotson said.
However, the app does not replace what you should do in an emergency.
"We want you to call 911 if you are in any danger or if there's any immediate threat," Dotson said. "However, the app does allow tipsters that may be traveling out and about throughout the county that see something."
If you want the app, just search "Horry County Police Department" on the Apple or Google Play stores.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Benjamin Smith new CEO of Air France-KLM, unions concerned
- Mattis says further Taliban assaults likely in weeks ahead
- Amid turmoil, USA Gymnastics takes small steps forward
- NFL players, coaches protecting skin on every given sun day