GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WBTW) – A man has died from injuries sustained in a single-vehicle wreck while fleeing a traffic stop early Sunday morning on Hwy 17 Business in Murrells Inlet, according to officials.
Kelvin Burgess, 27, of Lake City died from the injuries.
A Georgetown County Police Deputy made the traffic stop around 2 a.m. on Ocean Highway in South Litchfield on a vehicle with no tail lights. Burgess refused to stop and the deputy initiated a pursuit.
Burgess’s vehicle hit the center median while evading a spike strip and flipped, ejecting him from the car.
The driver had outstanding warrants for domestic abuse. There were no injuries to Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office personnel or damage to equipment.
South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating.
Count on News13 for updates.
- Sheriff: One shot in apparent domestic situation in Florence County
- Panthers move to 3-0, defeat Texans 24-9, but lose McCaffrey, Horn to injuries
- Fallen Lake City Police officer remembered at prayer vigil
- Blitz Pee Dee player of the week – Lamar’s Patrick Anderson
- ‘I want my mother’: Kroger employee recalls helping co-worker shot at Tennessee store