MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) - Family members say doctors removed Senator Greg Hembree's ventilator Saturday morning, and he is now breathing on his own.
Hembree was placed on a ventilator last Friday due to complications from a blood infection. He was initially hospitalized nearly two weeks ago following a potential small brain aneurysm.
His daughter Nora says it is a joy to be able to talk to him after eight days of him being sedated saying "it feels like Christmas morning in our house."
There is currently no timetable on how long it will take the senator to recover.
Hembree was first elected to the state senate in 2012. Prior to that, he served as the 15th Circuit Solicitor for 14 years.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Judge jails congressional candidate through election for DUI
- Man charged after 2 stabbed in neck with scissors in Myrtle Beach
- Italian bridge collapse sends cars plunging, killing 26
- Los Angeles is first in US to install subway body scanners