SOCASTEE, SC (WBTW) – Skeletal remains found in a wooded area in Socastee have been determined to be human, according to the Horry County Police Department.
Around 5:30 p.m. Sunday, officers and investigators responded to the 6000 block of Enterprise Road in a wooded area in Socastee, according to police.
The Remains have been recovered and determined to be male. DNA testing will be done to identify the victim. Additional information will be released after the anthropologist has completed an examination, according to Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard.
Community members nearby may have seen an increased officer presence into the evening Sunday. Officers were back on scene as of Monday morning.
Police say there is no risk to the community.
Count on News13 for updates.
- Fugitive sex offender arrested after living under fake name in Florida for more than 20 years, U.S. marshals say
- CDC’s new guidance for fully vaccinated people a ‘big deal,’ Duke doctor says
- Person shot in the leg during ‘family dispute’ in Chesterfield elementary school parking lot, officials say
- Florence 1 Schools to return to 5-day, in-person learning in April
- Pee Dee non-profits encourage minority groups to get vaccinated