Latta Police Chief Crystal Moore fired


LATTA, SC (WBTW) – Latta Chief of Police Crystal Moore was fired from her position Thursday night, according to town officials.

Town Administrator Jarett Taylor confirms Moore was terminated, but could not immediately give details on what led to her dismissal. Taylor says Derrick Cartwright will serve as the interim police chief.

Moore had just returned to the police chief position following a five day suspension at the end of August.

Moore released the following statement on her Facebook page following her termination:

This is a difficult situation and I want to share with those closest to me before this becomes public. I was fired as the Chief of Police of Latta tonight. I am shocked and angered especially in light of my cancer diagnosis and the struggle that has put me and my family through. But this won’t stop me from serving the people of Latta or Dillon County. This is a tough time for all of us, but I know justice will prevail. Please keep me and my family in your prayers during this difficult time.

News13 obtained the disciplinary action reports from the Town of Latta, explaining Moore’s suspension. According to the documents, Moore was suspended for failing to inform supervisors of a sexual harassment claim, revealing an officer’s salary at a public meeting and failing to file vehicle reports.

Taylor documents on Aug. 13 that Moore failed to follow proper procedure in notifying town leaders when a town employee claimed she was sexually harassed by her supervisor.

The written reprimand says Moore did not attempt to contact the town assistant administrator or her two immediate supervisors before calling the Dillon Sheriff’s Office to take over the sexual harassment claim and investigation.

Moore received two more written reprimands on Aug. 22. One for talking about an officer’s salary during a council meeting on Aug. 11. In the documentation, Moore acknowledges that she did disclose the salary, but referenced it as something she was told, not information she knew to be true herself.

She was also written up for using employee information in an unauthorized manner. Town leaders say Moore checked the disciplinary record of another town employee and coincidentally that information then became public knowledge. Moore claims she was helping the clerk with documentation and it will not happen again.

Following the three written disciplinary reports in a nine day period, Moore was suspended for five days. She returned to her position as police chief Aug. 30. Moore was terminated Sept. 8.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories