(CNN NEWSOURCE/WFLA) – The Better Business Bureau is warning of an “unclaimed rewards” hoax in which people promise unclaimed rewards to trick people into providing credit card information.
The victims get a postcard, email or social media message saying they have an unclaimed reward at major retailers like Walmart and Target and provide a phone number to claim it.
On the phone, they’re asked to confirm their identity and provide credit card information to pay for mailing costs.
Then the person on the phone will try to use the credit card to buy items.
The BBB recommends being wary of unsolicited correspondence and to never give personal information to people you don’t know.
- PHOTOS: Rare white sea turtle found on Kiawah Island Sunday morning
- Kirstie Alley defends Trump vote, responds to ‘nasty people’
- Actor Jeff Bridges reveals he has been diagnosed with lymphoma
- Woman found alive at funeral home dies at Detroit hospital
- Walmart’s ad scans released ahead of Black Friday events