(AP) -The Democratic National Committee is delaying its convention until the week of Aug. 17. The move comes after prospective nominee Joe Biden said he didn’t think it was possible to hold a normal convention in July because of the coronavirus.
The viral pandemic is forcing Democrats and Republicans to take a close look at at their summer conventions, which typically kick off the general election season.
Biden made his statement in an interview Wednesday with NBC late-night comedian Jimmy Fallon. Biden noted in a separate interview Tuesday that Democrats “have more time” to figure things out.
Republicans are expressing confidence they can pull off their convention as scheduled in late August.
Count on News13 for updates.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- North Carolina infant stabbed in head with screwdriver during fight between parents
- Chicago mayor says ‘F you’ to Trump over tweet encouraging shooting George Floyd protesters
- Lawmaker on Trump deeming churches essential: ‘It’s not safe to be in groups of that size’
- Q&A: Hear from candidates for next sheriff of Florence County
- Horry Co. man charged after reports of alleged sexual assault of 15-year-old