Jurors hear 911 calls property owner made before Ahmaud Arbery’s killing


BRUNSWICK, Ga. (WSAV) – Jurors in the trial of Ahmaud Arbery‘s killing on Thursday heard a recorded deposition of a man who owned a house under construction in the Satilla Shores neighborhood that has been highlighted in the case.

Defense attorneys have said Greg and Travis McMichael and William “Roddie” Bryan were justified in chasing and attempting to detain Arbery because they thought he was a burglar.

All three white men are charged with murder and other crimes in the death of Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man. The charges came more than two months after the shooting when explosive cellphone video leaked online showing the encounter.

In the September deposition, Larry English testified that he installed security cameras at his property for safety. He said there was “not much daytime footage I was concerned about,” adding that contractors were mostly coming by the house during the day.

Larry English, pictured right

English said it was common for neighbors to come by the property and check out the progress of the house. But there were instances where he called 911.

English said surveillance footage captured people several times in late 2019 and early 2020. Some of that video was released in May 2020, showing a man believed to be Arbery walking on the site.

Jurors were also presented surveillance video and audio of a 911 call when a white couple entered English property on a separate occasion.

English also called 911 to report a Yeti cooler and some equipment had been stolen from his boat. He said he didn’t know exactly when it was stolen, if people captured on surveillance video were responsible or if it happened while the boat was off of the construction property.

In another 911 call, English told authorities about a Black male on his property.

English said he never authorized the McMichaels to enter his property or confront anyone on his property.

He said he didn’t know Bryan.

English said after Arbery’s killing, he called 911 on multiple occasions because he felt harassed. He said he wasn’t sure he’d be able to use his under-construction home again.

Superior Court Judge Timothy Walmsley made the decision to keep the trial going on federal holiday because of the slow pace of trial so far. He made a comment about having “a great deal of respect” for veterans and took a moment of recognition Thursday.

Kevin Gough, Bryan’s attorney, renewed an objection on proceeding, saying it’s unconstitutional to do so on a federal holiday.

“I’ve already addressed that,” Walmsley said, “we are here.”

Court dismissed for the day around 4 p.m. Day five of the trial is set to begin at 9 a.m. Friday.

Follow @brianmrea on Twitter for regular updates

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories