UPDATE: 12:45 P.M. MONDAY
SCOTTSBORO, Ala. (WHNT/WBTW) – Eight people are dead after a fire destroyed dozens of boats in Alabama, News13’s sister station WHNT reports. Seven people were taken to a hospital, where they were treated and released.
The fire started on the shore side of the dock, which created issues for fire crews and people trying to escape.
Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus said any potential chemical spill has been contained and search efforts are ongoing.
Once they’re finished, ALEA and ATF will take over the investigation.
Nineteen agencies from all across the state, regional area, and local, are on the scene, including multiple dive teams.
SCOTTSBORO, AL (WBTW) – Multiple people are dead and several others are missing after a fire destroyed dozens of boats in Alabama.
News13’s Nexstar sister station WHNT reports emergency crews were called to a reported fire at Jackson County Park in Scottsboro, Alabama around 12:30 a.m. Monday.
Multiple people have died and seven are missing as of 6 a.m., WHNT also reports. Seven people were taken to a hospital “in stable condition” and 35 boats were destroyed.
Authorities also told the station a dock was destroyed.
About 17 agencies are on the scene and some have search and rescue boats.
WHNT reporter Jordan Dafnis posted the following video from the scene to Twitter.
Count on News13 for updates.
- Happiness class — free online — is most popular at Yale, especially during pandemic
- Last day to apply for rental assistance in SC quickly approaches
- ‘Chipmunk’ bandit robs Louisiana pharmacy
- 4 men, 2 juveniles face murder charges in Conway shooting that killed 19-year-old
- Kentucky AG to announce results today in Breonna Taylor shooting death probe