SUMTER, SC (AP) — A military pilot has died in the crash of a fighter jet during a training mission at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina.
20th Fighter Wing Commander Larry Sullivan confirmed the pilot’s death early Wednesday morning.
The crash happened on the military base around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, news outlets reported.
Base officials said the pilot was performing a routine training mission in a F-16CM Fighting Falcon when the jet crashed. The pilot was the only person on board.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. The name of the pilot wasn’t immediately released.
- Man extradited from Texas who police say was involved in October double homicide at Allens Food Basket in Myrtle Beach
- Surfside Beach Town Council member charged with DUI
- DHEC: COVID-19 positive test rate dips to 3.7%
- Police: North Carolina 19-year-old found dead after running multiple blocks after being shot
- Allergies or COVID-19? How to tell the difference