PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Elephants at the Oregon Zoo had a very happy Friday as they participated in the annual tradition of Squishing the Squash.
The elephants squished, stomped and munched on some of the Portland area’s largest pumpkins. One of the pumpkins was 800 pounds, and the other was 600 pounds.
They were provided by Pacific Giant Vegetable Growers Club members Larry and Christy Nelson of Albany.
The Zoo said activities such as smashing pumpkins help keep the animals mentally and physically stimulated.
- President Trump speaks in NC, pledges woman for Supreme Court, pushes Senate to move on pick
- A South Carolina city gets long awaited river park
- Surgeon General Jerome Adams, Gov. McMaster, health officials discuss testing efforts in SC
- A sunnier end to the weekend
- More sunshine for your Sunday