FLORENCE, SC(WBTW) – The Florence Police Department is accepting applications for the Sergeant Terrence Carraway Memorial Scholarship.
The scholarship was established in January 2019 to “honor the life of Sergeant Terrence Carraway” and to “continue his passion for the advancement of youth in the Florence and Darlington communities,” the application says.
“This scholarship is a need based fund, awarded annually to one recipient from Florence County School District High Schools and one recipient from Darlington County School District High Schools. Scholarship awards are made payable to the recipient’s educational institution.”
Eligibility requirements include:
- Must attend Florence County School District High Schools or Darlington County School District High Schools
- Applicant must be a high school senior and meet all high school requirements to graduate or have GED equivalent
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a twoyear or a four-year college or vocational school
- Be a citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States
The criteria for the award the scholarship include:
- Must submit a completed application
- Must submit a 500word essay on the topic provided on the application
- Provide a current high school transcript and ACT/SAT scores
“Candidates are selected based on a comprehensive review of the information submitted with the candidate’s application,” states the application.
The application deadline for the scholarship is May 24, 2019. Applications can be sent to: Florence Police Fund, 324 W. Evans Street, Florence, SC 29501.
Sgt. Terrence Carraway was killed on October 3 during a shooting in Florence’s Vintage Place neighborhood.
The scholarship application can be found here.