FLORENCE, SC (WBTW) – A Florence priest denied former Vice President Joe Biden communion, saying he did so because Biden supports abortion.
Rev. Robert E. Morey, a priest at St. Anthony Catholic Church in Florence, says he refused Holy Communion to the former vice president on Sunday.
“Sadly, this past Sunday, I had to refuse Holy Communion to former Vice President Joe Biden. Holy Communion signifies we are one with God, each other and the Church. Our actions should reflect that,” Rev. Morey says in a statement to News13. “Any public figure who advocates for abortion places himself or herself outside of Church teaching. As a priest, it is my responsibility to minister to those souls entrusted to my care, and I must do so even in the most difficult situations. I will keep Mr. Biden in my prayers.”
A spokesperson for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston told News13 Rev. Morey’s decision was his own.
Count on News13 for updates on this story.
- DHEC data: Most districts don’t meet standards to hold in-person classes
- Living Local Carolina: Myrtle Beach Safari Special with Netflix Tiger King’s Dr. Bhagavan “Doc” Antle
- No hitting the breaks for bikers kicking off 81st ‘Spring’ Bike Rally
- White House hosts event to share positive police stories as Congress works on reform
- Special Olympics Fall Games canceled, local athlete starts virtual workout program