FLORENCE, SC (WBTW) – Francis Marion University will celebrate its 50th anniversary with events throughout the 2019-2020 academic year.
According to FMU, some events for the celebration include:
- founding faculty and staff dinner on October 23
- Doug’s Day, featuring Edwin McCain, on November 14
- Homecoming weekend in early February 2020
- FMU Gala for the First Generation Fund on April 7, 2020
“FMU was founded by special legislative act on July 1, 1970 as Francis Marion College, a part of South Carolina’s system of public colleges and universities,” the university said. “That followed a 14-year run as a two-year branch college of the University of South Carolina.”
The University has grown and flourished in the 50 years since. It has remained true to its mission to serve the people of the Pee Dee Region, while at the same time developing programs and curriculum that serve and impact the entire state of South Carolina.
Today, more than 4,000 students matriculate in more than 40 majors at FMU. In recent years the University has created programs in the health sciences, started industrial and mechanical engineering programs, developed its first doctoral program and added a significant physical presence in downtown Florence.FMU press release
- Police respond to report of robbery at Myrtle Beach area Dunkin Donuts
- Crews respond to water main break in Conway, burn ban in place until repairs made
- Several suspected cases of vaping-related illness reported at upstate SC hospital
- NC dad finds 3 teens passed out in running car – his message after the discovery
- SC lawmakers set to tackle issues with early childhood education