UPDATE: The body of an 11-year-old boy has been recovered, deputies say.
Dive teams recovered the body in the water, according to Chief Deputy Glen Kirby.
ELIM COMMUNITY, SC (WBTW) – Crews are searching for a child who has been reported missing while playing in water in the Elim Community.
Crews responded to the area of Fork Road and Highway 301 after getting the call at 6:28 p.m. Saturday, according to Chief Deputy Glen Kirby with the Florence County Sheriff’s Office.
Search underway right now in Elim community of Flo Co for 11-year-old who went missing while swimming pic.twitter.com/2eUI27Kyqq— Matt Fortin (@mattfortintv) May 31, 2020
The Howe Springs Fire Department, South Lynches Fire Department and the SC Department of Natural Resources are all on scene, with the FCSO assisting, Chief Kirby said.
The water was near the Lynches River, which has been flooding.
A helicopter is being used in the search. The child is 11-years-old, Chief Kirby said.
Count on News13 for updates as this story develops.
- Body found by railroad tracks in Georgia turns out to be sex doll
- Tracking the Tropics, Week 7: beach renourishment & hurricane shelters amid COVID-19
- SCHSL to meet Wednesday to discuss the status of high school football, fall sports
- 2 wanted, one in custody in connection with ‘large fight’ on Ocean Blvd
- ‘They’re terrified:’ Survey says thousands of SC educators have underlying health conditions