Pregnant NC woman shot and killed by boyfriend, police say


RALEIGH, N.C. – A pregnant woman who was shot and killed Saturday night near Triangle Town Center struggled to tell a 911 dispatcher her name and location to save her unborn daughter’s life.

The Raleigh Police Department released the eerie call that 25-year-old Kimberly Dianne Richardson made to 911 moments after she was shot behind the Party City near Triangle Town Center.

“Help,” Richardson said, struggling to breathe. “I’ve been shot.”

“I’m not … ” she said when asked for her address. “Party City, behind Triangle Town Center mall.”

When asked for her phone number, Richardson told the dispatcher, “I can’t … I can’t talk.”

She was able to tell the dispatcher that she was outside, but what followed was nearly 43 second of chilling silence before she could muster enough energy to again tell the dispatcher, “Behind Party City.”

Another 31 seconds of silence followed before sirens could be heard in the distance.

Upon arrival, Raleigh Police discovered that Richardson had been shot and that she was was six months pregnant. Police said she was taken to WakeMed where doctors performed an emergency cesarean section to save her daughter’s life.

Her child survived, but Richardson passed away from her injuries.

Police identified Richardson’s boyfriend, 25-year-old Daniel Joseph Steele, as the suspect in the shooting. He was located at his home on Snowcrest Drive a short time later and charged with her murder.

Maria Babar, who described herself as a friend of the couple found the news hard to believe.”She was a real sweetheart. She was a good soul. She had good intentions. She would never do anything bad to anybody,” Babar said. “I would never expect for him to do something like that to her because they were having a kid and it’s just mind-blowing and it’s definitely out of the blue.”

“It’s terrible,” said Steele’s neighbor, Carol Lee. She said she didn’t know him, but she saw the police presence around the home when Steele was taken into custody. “I saw about three cop cars outside the house, and I saw a couple of cops standing in front of it.”

Steele is being held without bond.

Richardson worked at Zales at Triangle Town Center. At the request of her family members, no further information is being released about the infant, according to a WakeMed spokesperson.

Loved ones have now set up a fundraising website to raise money for flowers and support Richardson’s family.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories