ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WNCN) – QVC will lay off more than 1,900 employees after a distribution facility was destroyed by fire in December.
About 1.5 million square feet of the QVC distribution center went up in flames on Dec. 18. The facility is the company’s second-biggest.
Kevon Ricks, 21, was killed in the blaze.
According to documents from the North Carolina Department of Commerce, QVC will lay off 1.953 employees in total effective Feb. 1.
The paperwork filed with the Department of Commerce says the facility will permanently close but QVC said no long term decision has been made.
“We are still assessing the impact of the fire and, while we haven’t made any long-term decisions about the site, we already know the building will be closed for an extended period and there will not be work there for the team for the foreseeable future,” a QVC spokesperson said in a statement to WNCN.
The company had previously extended its shutdown pay through Feb. 1 after previously offering $500 in emergency allowance to every Rocky Mount employee.
After Feb. 1, “applicable separation benefits will begin for impacted team members,” QVC said. All those who lose their jobs will be eligible to receive at least four weeks of separation pay or a lump sum equivalent.
The cause of the fire has not been released.
The ATF is helping in the investigation.