CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Thursday marks 13 years since the Charleston 9 lost their lives in the Sofa Super Store fire.
On June 18, 2007, the city of Charleston firefighters battled a massive fire as flames consumed the West Ashley store.
They rushed inside fearing that an employee might still be trapped.
That employee was able to escape, but the fire consumed the building and the roof then collapsed.
The word “mayday” is the last things we hear from the nine firefighters trapped inside.
We remember and honor those nine lives on this 13th anniversary.
- Captain Billy Hutchinson
- Captain Louis Mulkey
- Captain Mike Benke
- Engineer Brad Baity
- Engineer Mark Kelsey
- Assistant Engineer Michael French
- Firefighter Brandon Thompson
- Firefighter Earl Drayton
- Firefighter Melvin Champaign
City of Charleston firefighters are standing watch now for 24 hours at the Charleston 9 memorial.
- Duke Energy explains how North Carolina dams, watershed have contributed to Horry County flooding
- Body found by railroad tracks in Georgia turns out to be sex doll
- Tracking the Tropics, Week 7: beach renourishment & hurricane shelters amid COVID-19
- SCHSL to meet Wednesday to discuss the status of high school football, fall sports
- 2 wanted, one in custody in connection with ‘large fight’ on Ocean Blvd