SUNSET, S.C. (AP) — A 15-year-old South Carolina boy drowned trying to save his younger brother in what officials say is the state’s deadliest body of water.
News outlets report Sahiyd Thomas died Friday after attempting to save his 12-year-old brother in Lake Keowee, near Keowee Toxaway State Park.
Pickens County Deputy Coroner Gary Duncan says Thomas noticed his brother struggling in the lake and pushed him back to shore. He says Thomas went backward and under the water.
Duncan says Thomas was on a camping trip with a church. His younger brother’s condition wasn’t immediately released.
- Twitter adds fact-check warnings to Trump tweets
- Florence Police investigate reported abduction
- States volunteer to host RNC as Trump considers moving it from North Carolina
- Heavy rain Wednesday morning
- Marion’s TJ Sanders seeing many D-1 offers for football