ST. GEORGE, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina man is in custody accused of slaying his 76-year-old father.
The St. George Police Department said retired attorney James A. News outlets report Bell was found shot in the head twice in the early morning hours of Jan. 1.
The Dorchester County Coroner’s Office pronounced Bell dead at 9:30 a.m. Friday. An autopsy is scheduled Tuesday at the Medical University of South Carolina to determine an official cause of death. During the investigation, officers found that while Bell was asleep in a chair, his 48-year-old son, Jason, allegedly shot him.
He later surrendered to police at the St. George Police Department where he was arrested on a charge of murder.
What sparked the shooting remains under investigation.
- South Carolina town bans sleeping in public spaces
- NC speedway to host ‘America Needs Prayer Rally,’ people asked to park cars on infield
- Garth Brooks set to perform at Biden inauguration, says it’s ‘not a political statement’
- Anti-abortion faith leaders support use of COVID-19 vaccines linked to cell lines
- Myrtle Beach purposes first-ever bike and pedestrian lanes for downtown streets