KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (WAVY) — The Coast Guard is searching for a missing 72-year-old boater who was reported missing while sailing from New York to Florida on Saturday.
Michael Bye was last seen sailing aboard his 35-foot recreational vessel.
Officials from Coast Guard’s Fifth District command center were first notified at 7:40 p.m. Friday that Bye had failed to make contact at an agreed-upon time by a family member.
Bye was scheduled to meet a friend in Belhaven, North Carolina on Saturday but did not arrive.
The Coast Guard’s search-and-rescue officials found his last location in the vicinity of Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station in Elizabeth City, N.C. are currently on scene searching.
Officials ask anyone with additional information regarding this case to contact the D5 command center on VHF-FM channel 16 or at 757-398-6390.
- Horry County looks to update comprehensive plan for maintaining its beaches
- Denver mayor tells public to stay home, then flies to see his family
- Health officials report close to 4,000 COVID-19 cases among students, staff at SC schools
- Police: Man forced his way into Myrtle Beach hotel, kidnapped 2 people
- Police: Man charged after reportedly taking family from hotel at gunpoint