Fire officials say gas leak caused NC house blast

State - Regional

Firefighters look over the wreckage following a fire and explosion at a home in Charlotte, N.C., on Tuesday, July 2, 2019. Officials say a man who called 911 from the home after the explosion was rescued and taken by helicopter to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. (Charlotte Fire Department via AP)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Fire officials say a gas leak led to the fire and explosion that leveled a house in North Carolina, killing a woman inside.

Fire Marshal Jonathan Leonard of the Charlotte Fire Department told a news conference Wednesday that the gas leak in the home appeared to be accidental but he couldn’t provide any additional details of what happened.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police identified the woman in a report released Wednesday as 58-year-old Rania Karam.

Battalion Chief Matt Westover said it was her husband, Jebran Karam, who called 911 and later directed firefighters to where his wife was located in the shattered home after Tuesday’s blast. Jebran Karam was pulled from the rubble and taken by helicopter to a hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending stories