CLINTON, Miss. (AP) — A mother and her six children were killed in a house fire early Saturday in central Mississippi, authorities said.
The fire happened around 12:30 a.m. in Clinton, which is outside Jackson, Clinton Fire Chief Jeff Blackledge told local news outlets.
The victims, whose names were not immediately released, ranged in age from 1 to 33, Blackledge said.
The father, who survived, tried to rescue the family, said Mark Jones, communications director for the city of Clinton. The father suffered burns, smoke inhalation, cuts and bruises and was brought to a hospital, Jones told news outlets.
The state Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire, Jones said.
No other details were immediately available.
- Prince Harry raps ‘Fresh Prince,’ says he didn’t walk away in first interview since being stripped of royal duties
- LIVE: White House COVID-19 response team holds briefing as US approval of J&J vaccine nears
- Entire school board in California resigns after making disparaging comments about parents without realizing meeting was broadcast
- You may have to a wear mask longer than anticipated even with COVID-19 vaccines
- South Carolina man suspected of exposing child, adult victims to HIV